THE NATIONAL OPERA HOUSE OF UKRAINE IS KYIV TOURIST AND ARCHITECTURAL PEARL
National Opera House of Ukraine, also known as the temple of muses, is the one of the Kyiv main tourist highlights.
The Opera House construction works started in 1898. From three hundred to five hundred people and sixty horses worked on constructions works simultaneously.
The first opera season was opened on September 16, 1901. More than 30 architects from Russia, Ukraine, Germany, France and Italy fought for designing opera house. The winning proposal was by Victor Schröter. The exterior is decorated with luxury plasterworks, deep arches, two winged women, Kyiv emblem of The Archistratigus Michael which was then changed for griffon holding lyre. The interior is distinguished with Venice mirrors, ornamental walls and ceiling plasterworks, marble stairs, mosaic floor, sophisticated velvet arm-chairs and exquisite lamps from Vienna, shining chandelier.
At that time it was the biggest Opera stage in Russia. It was 34.3m wide, 17.2m deep and 22.7m long. The stall could hold 384 people. The theatre was equipped with steam heating system, air conditioning and high quality stage equipment and acoustics.
After numerous reconstructions (especially after two world wars) the total house stage is 824 sq.m. The hall can hold 1304 people.